click here

Thursday 27 April 2017

Punishment Island

Unmarried girls who got pregnant used to be seen as bringing
shame to their families in parts of Uganda, so they were taken to a tiny island and left to die. The lucky ones were rescued, and one of them is still alive. The BBC's Patience Atuhaire tracked her down.
"When my family discovered that I was pregnant, they put me in a canoe and took me to Akampene [Punishment Island]. I stayed there without food or water for four nights," says Mauda Kyitaragabirwe, who was aged just 12 at the time.
"I remember being very hungry and cold. I was almost dying."
On the fifth day a fisherman came along and said he would take her home with him.
"I was a bit sceptical. I asked him whether he was tricking me and wanted to throw me into the water.
"But he said: 'No. I am taking you to be my wife.' So he brought me here," she reflects fondly, seated on a simple chair on the veranda of the house she shared with her husband.
She lives in the village of Kashungyera, just a 10-minute boat trip across Lake Bunyonyi from Punishment Island, which is actually just a patch of waterlogged grass. 
Source BBC News.

No comments:

Post a Comment